THE BERKELEY EXECUTIVE PROGRAM IN MANAGEMENT
DEC, 2016 – NOV, 2017
Location : India & UC Berkeley campus (California, US)
Program Fee : $30,000
Phone (India) : +91 8587878713 / 14 / 15
Phone (USA) : +1-510-643-2248
INVEST IN YOUR FUTURE
A strong personal brand and a global network are prerequisites to achieve greater success in your career. Today’s complex global business environment rewards those who develop advanced management skills by reinvesting in acquiring the latest knowledge and experiences.
The BERKELEY EXECUTIVE PROGRAM IN MANAGEMENT is a distinguished general management program that prepares you for the next level of leadership. Created to transform proven leaders into global executives ready for leading the charge, EPM encourages reflection, enhances strategic thinking and develops authentic leadership.
You will graduate with a mark of distinction from a world-renowned university as a member of an elite and influential alumni network ready for the next stage of your success.
Apart from becoming part of your own cohort community and building an enviable network, participants graduate from the Berkeley Executive Program in Management as a member of the elite Berkeley-Haas alumni community.
This entitles the participants to:
- Join an elite network of distinguished Haas Alumni. You will have access to a global network of over 38,000 Berkeley-Haas alumni via a password-protected online community
- A UC Berkeley email forwarding address – this does not expire ever
- Access to exclusive Haas-sponsored reunions, conferences and seminars
- The Berkeley Executive Program in Management Certification from the UC Berkeley Center for Executive Education at the Haas School of Business
- Access to the Long Business Library and other university database services (onsite)
- One-year subscription to the California Management Review
- Join the exclusive Berkeley-Haas Alumni LinkedIn group
- Receive Berkeley-Haas Alumni Magazine
- Receive bimonthly Berkeley-Haas Alumni E-newsletter
- Access to exclusive Video portal, Haas Insights, a window into research highlights, industry speakers, blogs, and more
- Subscription to Berkeley-Haas Alumni Jobs Newsletter with latest job posting from distinguished employers
UC Berkeley’s Distinguished Alumni Include:
N. W. Jasper
Walter A. Haas
Check out the UC Berkeley Alumni Hall of Fame.
UNIQUE BERKELEY HAAS ADVANTAGE
Programs at The Center for Executive Education at UC Berkeley-Haas are helmed by Haas faculty — some of the most forward-thinking minds in business today. As the second-oldest business school in the United States, the Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world’s leading producers of new ideas and knowledge in all areas of business. The school’s outstanding reputation is bolstered by the distinction of having two of its faculty members receive the Nobel Prize in Economics over the past 15 years.
The school’s distinctive culture is defined by four defining principles:
- Question the status quo
- Confidence without attitude
- Students always
- Beyond yourself
BERKELEY HAAS RANKINGS
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
The Berkeley Executive Program in Management, is designed to create a deeply relevant, immersive and dynamic learning experience for senior executives, ready for the next level of leadership challenge. Participants may come from a range of industries and functions and all will be technology savvy, open to innovation and change, and driven to make a difference in their work environments. The program will benefit senior professionals with:
- Significant experience and demonstrated career progression and success across levels, including
- CXO’s, Directors, Presidents, VP’s, etc.
- Managers of managers
- Senior functional managers and business heads
- Individuals with outstanding careers and leadership roles in a variety of settings
- A strong drive to succeed and aspirations for reaching beyond the obvious career milestones.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt, learn and apply new knowledge in varied situations.
- A minimum of 10+ years of work experience in functional, technical, or business roles.
- A graduate degree with a strong academic track record.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
The Berkeley EPM has emerged as program of choice for senior high potential leaders with global roles and aspirations. Participants bringing in a rich mix of experience in functions and verticals in knowledge driven industries. Below is a brief overview of participant mix.
CLASS PROFILE – 2015
Faculty at UC Berkeley’s Haas School of Business comprise some of academia’s and industry’s most forward-thinking minds. Haas is ranked #1 for having the “best professors” in the Princeton Review‘s annual business school ranking (2013). 22 past and present faculty members from UC Berkeley are counted among the 72 Nobel laureates affiliated with UC Berkeley. They leverage their business expertise and thought leadership to shape the practice of management and create tomorrow’s innovative leaders through executive programs such as Berkeley EPM. The result is a teaching team whose insights and grasp of business concepts enable participants to become superior business leaders.
Program faculty may include:
The year-long program comprises 6 academic modules, 2 core foundational courses including a boot-camp, several workshops, and a capstone project covering the entire general management learning landscape.
This module helps you discover your unique strengths and areas of improvement leading to practical action plans for your professional growth.
- Diagnostic survey results – using data to improve self-awareness and leverage strengths
- Understand your management challenges and opportunities
- Managing organizational dynamics
- How to succeed in a matrix organization
- Creating and managing high-performance teams
- Negotiation as a strategic communication tool
- Effective influence and persuasion
- Influencing people and leading change group exercise
- The leader as coach
- How to attract, develop, motivate, and retain talent
- Effective leadership
This module brings the focus back on essentials of innovating and managing products and services—the keys to competing and winning in today’s ultra-competitive marketplace. The module looks at all necessary elements of product management including pricing, business models, marketing, customer-focused design, influence without authority, and competing to win.
- Organizational strategy and product management
- The business model canvas
- Customer-focused design
- Market research
- Breakthrough results with pricing and power pricing
- Segmentation, targeting, and positioning
- Product life cycle
- Product portfolio planning
This module takes you through strategic applications of the important aspects of finance and accounting, with a focus on understanding and applying the appropriate tools to your advantage. It will help you to speak the language used by the CFO and the finance function and allow you to make more informed decisions as well as avoid costly mistakes. You will learn to make vital strategic decisions related to:
- Strategies, performance and decisions of the firm and its competitors
- Operational, financing and investment decisions
- Value creation, valuation and future financial performance
- Cost allocations and strategic project opportunities
- Performance evaluations and incentive designs
This module takes the work from Module 2 in product management and strategy and extends it to include innovation as a required element for continued growth and success for products, services and organizations as a whole. It takes you, the leader, through the journey of developing an innovation-centric view in all aspects of work as opposed to innovation as part of the R&D function. This module aims to develop you into a more flexible, forward-thinking executive, comfortable with the language and management of innovation.
- Introduction to innovation
- Introduction to innovative leadership
- Idea generation and the business model canvas
- Customer-focused experimentation
- Internally focused experimentation
- Leading innovative change
Product management and marketing are intricately linked to strategy, and this module delivers practical methods for strategy formulation and implementation for business units and the enterprise as a whole. Participants will come away with forward-looking techniques for assessing competition and effective positioning for competitive advantage. This module covers all areas of strategy, including:
- Industry structure and analysis
- Strategic value curves
- Corporate strategy
- Strategic planning
- Competitive strategy
- Interactive strategy
- Growth strategies
This module aims to transform your leadership capabilities with productive interpersonal exchanges, enabling you to influence any audience. The module builds upon the art of communication to make powerful impressions on your audiences and forge more productive relationships with coworkers.
- Leadership presence
- Enriching and effective feedback techniques
- Discovering your authentic leadership
- Introduction to coaching skills & tools
- Coaching demonstrations
- Inquiry – the art of asking curious questions
- Small group coaching practice
CORE FOUNDATIONAL COURSES
The Financial Accounting module from Harvard Business Publishing is an introduction to the fundamental concepts of financial accounting in a management context. The module teaches participants how accounting systems are used to record the day-to-day economic activities of a business. Participants learn fundamental accounting concepts and then apply those concepts in a detailed examination of the financial statements used to describe the business. Throughout the module, participants are presented with real-world challenges that require them to interpret the financial data to find answers.
This module from Harvard Business Publishing provides a fundamental understanding of the principles, analytical tools, and knowledge needed to make good investment and financing decisions. The module introduces participants to finance ratios, forecasting methods, capital structure theory, and risk-return analysis and then asks them to apply these concepts in several different approaches to valuing a business.
Financial accounting and Corporate Finance module are followed by an in-person two day module delivered by Northwest Executive Education focused on applying the principles learnt on multiple domains. This module also explores applications in valuations in context of Venture Capital, Mergers & Acquisitions and Private equity transactions.
Our partner, Northwest, will deliver workshops on topics contextual to India or a skillset that is absolutely essential and required to grow as a senior executive. Below is a list of topics covered in workshops that will take place in between the academic modules.
- Expert problem solving techniques
- Understanding Macroeconomics in business context, Global economy and imperatives
- Managing successful operations
- Managing your professional career
- Pitching yourself and your idea – the Elevator Pitch
- Building an effective organization and managing human capital
The program includes a capstone project focused on implementing the learning within the program, in the context of your current or future work place. The project topics could include a business plan proposal for the organization to expand into a new area, a specific business challenge at your workplace, or an interesting opportunity in the broader industry landscape. Northwest Executive Education will work one on one with participants to help them identify impactful projects. The capstone project will have three phases at an Individual or team level:
- Initiation and planning
- Mid-term project review and workout
- Final presentation to faculty panel and feedback session
INDUSTRY VISITS AND SPEAKERS
As part of the program, participants will be introduced to the innovation ecosystem of Silicon Valley and San Francisco-Bay area. This will be achieved through visits to:
- Organizations that have developed and sustained a corporate innovation ecosystem
- Exciting startups which are on the forefront of innovation and breakthrough business models
- Accelerators and incubators that are deeply embedded in the entrepreneurial ecosystem of the Valley and constantly tracking patterns for identifying next big opportunity
Participants would get to hear from and interact with senior executives from some of these organizations and engage in a Q&A, helping them decipher success code, culture and values of this ecosystem.
INDIA INNOVATION FORUM
As a program participant you will get exclusive access to India Innovation Forum (IIF). IIF is unique two day event which brings together prominent stakeholders in innovation ecosystem such as Entrepreneurs, VC and PE investors, thought leaders and corporate leaders who are pushing the envelope in the most impactful manner. To learn more about speakers, agenda and view pictures from IIF at please click here.
Once you have joined the Berkeley Executive Program in Management, the next step is to plan your career growth roadmap. Early planning and committed execution is key to professional success, much like execution of your corporate and brand strategy at workplace.
Northwest career advancement services provides personalized support to all participants of its programs (except company sponsored participants) to help develop their career advancement strategy and guidance for its execution.
Northwest works closely with program participants through a multi-pronged approach to ensure that they are well prepared for their role of choice in specific industry and functional area of relevance to each participant. This is done through a dedicated senior industry mentor who acts as an executive coach and provides detailed feedback to participant on his/her profile, resume / CV and a constructive critique on career plans. The Executive Coach also guides the participant towards development of a specific plan to address the gaps as well as improve their performance at work place and in advancing their career, within or ourside the organization.
The Coaching process is not necessarily aimed at immediate results but a carefully planned transformation that helps participants build on their strengths and improve on their development areas. Hence it is required that participants spend a significant time focusing on improving their profile and addressing gaps, as part of the program.
The process is as follows:
An initial workshop aims at explaining the nuances of a good resume and provides a ready format for participants to use to highlight their achievements. Executive coach and Northwest team then works with the participants to develop and maintain their profiles on active networks such as LinkedIn and BLUESTEPS.
Psychometric tests such as Specialized 360 Assessments, Strength Finder, MBTI, FIRO B, Birkman (as applicable to the program design and participant profiles) etc. are used to help participants understand their blind spots and areas for improvement. The participants are then often given one-on-one coaching to help create a roadmap for such improvement by the executive coach.Participants will also get pointers on body language, communication as well as presentation skills at various points during the program.
Participants work closely with Northwest team to identify the companies that provide a best fit with their aspirations and career advancement plan. Together with the Executive Coach, they chart out a path to create connect with the selected companies, by using the network of Northwest Founders, Faculty, Peers etc.
Northwest provides all participants, a life time paid access to BLUESTEPS, the portal of AESC (association of Executive Search Consultants) which is used by almost all top tier executive search agencies, to ensure that the program participants (based on their profile and prior experience) can get access to a wide spectrum of opportunities. Among 350 firm and a total of 8000 plus executive recruiters having access to your profile for global roles, some of the top Executive Search Firms that are active on BLUESTEPS include:
|Spencer Stuart||Russel Reynolds||Egon Zhender||Stanton Chase|
|Korn Ferry||ABC consultants||Gilbert Tweed||Executive Access|
|EMA Partners||Accord Group||Amrop||Heidrick & Struggles|
Learn more about Bluesteps
Participants are also provided access to a Northwest maintained Job Board which lists current mandates being processed by organizations within the extended Northwest network of supportive organizations in India and outside, as well as select external postings.
Besides the workshops and providing high quality resources to help improve the public profile, develop communication skills, overall presentation and body language; Northwest team and the Executive Coach also conducts one-on-one interview practice sessions with program participants, focused on the type of role, functional area and industry. This is to ensure that the participants are well prepared to present themselves and their strengths to prospective employers and highlight their fit with the role in a clear, unambiguous manner.
Berkeley EPM follows a rolling admissions (first come, first serve) process and participant applications are evaluated as soon as they are received. The step-by-step process is outline below.
|Round||Deadline Date||Application Fee|
|Round 3||Nov 12, 2016||USD 250|
- The early application and acceptance round increases your chances of acceptance in the program by 50%
- Considering the limited seats in the program and first come – first serve admission process, it is always more beneficial for candidates to apply as soon as possible.
- Your application can be placed on the waiting list. If you are not offered final admission for the current program, you might be offered a place in the next year’s program. In this case, your application fee will then be considered for the next year’s program.
- Application fee is refunded only in the case an applicant is not offered an admission to the program.
PROGRAM FEES AND FINANCING
The Program fee for UC BERKELEY EPM is USD 30,000 inclusive of all taxes. It covers teaching fees, all academic materials, lunches and select dinners. The Fees does not include transport expenses (domestic and international), any associated visa fees etc. and accommodation for modules and/or workshops in India. It also does not cover any other expenses that are not expressly mentioned above.
Financing the Program
You are responsible for full payments of fees as per the guidelines to ensure that you are part of the program. Typically we see participants adopt one of the three routes below for paying the program fees.
- Candidates can pay the entire fee through available funds/ savings
- There is no difference in terms of payment schedule and requirements, should the candidates fund their own candidacy.
- Financing by way of loans to pay the program fees and incidental costs is available to all participants through Credila (An HDFC Limited company) or Avanse (a DHFL Company) at competitive interest rates.
- Subject to Participant meeting certain norms, loans of up to Rs. 17 lakhs may be availed without any collateral requirement. Decisions on loan approval and collateral requirements will be taken by the financial institution disbursing the loan, at its sole discretion
Please note that applying for financing by way of loans in no way jeopardizes a participant’s admission evaluation. However, in order to ensure that your loan is disbursed on time, we suggest that all participants seeking loan financing meet the early application deadline .
- Companies can support the internal career advancement of their high potential senior executives by sponsoring them in the program.
- Companies interested in sponsoring their high potential senior executives and who want to learn more about the program should get in touch with Northwest at BEPM@northwest.sg to schedule a one-on-one discussion with a program advisor.
The program experience has been designed to be immersive, insightful and thought provoking in order to transform participants to innovative business leaders who will put new ideas into action. The UC Berkeley Center for Executive Education has been offering executive education programs for several decades. These programs conform to the highest standards of quality and are taught by some of the best faculty in the world. The Berkeley Executive Program in Management delivers the same elite experience.
The videos below capture the participants’ reflections and experiences of the Berkeley EPM.
ABOUT UC BERKELEY
The University of California was chartered in 1868 and its flagship campus — envisioned as a “City of Learning” — was established at Berkeley, on San Francisco Bay. Today the world’s premier public university and a wellspring of innovation, UC Berkeley occupies a 1,232 acre campus with a sylvan 178-acre central core. From this home its academic community makes key contributions to the economic and social well-being of the Bay Area, California, and the nation.
A National Research Council analysis of U.S. universities concluded that UC Berkeley has the largest number of highly ranked graduate programs in the country. The analysis ranked doctoral programs within a range (such as between 1st and 5th), and found that 48 out of the 52 Berkeley programs assessed ranked within the top 10 nationally.
Over the past decade (2000-2009), the National Science Foundation awarded more Graduate Research Fellowships to UC Berkeley students than to those of any other university (MIT was 2nd; Stanford 3rd; Harvard 4th).
In any given year, more than 4,000 Cal students do volunteer work. UC Berkeley continues to be the only school in the country to have produced more than 3,000 Peace Corps volunteers since that organization’s inception in 1961.